Hawaii deserves a spot in the college football championship game (a.k.a. BCS Title Game) as the lone undefeated team standing. That is particularly true because several Top 25 teams with openings in their schedules refused to play Hawaii this season.
HONOLULU (AP) — Colt Brennan threw a 5-yard touchdown pass to Ryan Grice-Mullen with 44 seconds left and Hawaii (No. 12 BCS, No. 11 AP)overcame a 21-point deficit to beat Washington 35-28 on Saturday night to finish the regular season 12-0 and virtually assure a BCS berth.
Time for a playoff. What other sport in the World crowns a champion with an arbitrary selection by people and computers without a head-to-head matchup? It doesn’t happen.
Unfortunately, there are no financial incentives to change how things are. That is, until fans provide them. So I’m calling for a fan boycott. Yes, a fan boycott.
Boycott: How it will work
- Refuse to purchase any memorabilia or merchandise that has a logo of any college that participates in the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (list here). Also refuse to purchase any tickets to football games, including bowl games. I will not buy any more Trojan Gear until a playoff is installed. The ultimate decision is up to the school presidents of the big six leagues.
- Contact companies that sponsor your football team, the league they compete in, and the bowl games to declare your opposition to the bowl system and
- Target one specific company: All State
- Contact its Customer Care (1-800-All-State) and lodge your dissatisfaction with its sponsoring the Title Game and request it pressure the NCAA to form a football playoff it sponsors instead.
- Companies are very concerned about image and a few thousand calls regarding its sponsorship will make it take notice.
- As a last resort, if you want to go this far, is to cancel your policies.
- Refuse to watch the games. If anyone has power to convince schools, it is the TV networks that paid beaucoup bucks to broadcast the games. They depend on advertising revenue based on the number of “eyeballs” watching the broadcast. If those “eyeballs” were to not show up …
Until a playoff is installed, I’ll just divert more attention to studying and soccer (a.k.a. futbol).